Membership Monday - Sullivan County CAC
Meet Harley. She spends most of her time at the Children's Advocacy Center of Sullivan County in Blountville, TN.
You can learn more about them (and catch a video of Harley snoring) on their Facebook page!
Harley has such a special job, and she couldn't wait to tell us all about it!
1. Describe your role at the CAC. The magnificent role bestowed upon me is that of the facilities dog. My role at the CAC reaches much deeper than just a dog that hangs out with the employees. I make kids feel safe, comfortable, and loved. I love what I do!
2. Why did you decide to go into your field? With as many naps as I take during the day, a dog has the time to ponder about how to make a difference in the world. My owner directs the CAC, and I heard her talking about kids who were nervous about coming in for our services. That's when I decided to start going to work with Gena so that I could love on the kids, follow them around, and help them feel comfortable with being at the center.
3. What are your hobbies/interests outside of work? I adore napping, sneaking bits of food from my many admirers, napping, playing at home with my canine sister Bella, napping, running around outside, napping, watching TV, oh... and napping.
4. What are some events or projects (personal or professional) that you would like to share? Every year our CAC holds an event called Passport. The event is themed around a new adventure. We have so much fun, and it helps us raise funds while reaching out to pillars in our community. This is the one time a year that I get to travel to a new exotic place! So far, I've been to Paris, Italy, and Africa, and I can't wait to see where we're going to travel this year!
5. How can community members and potential donors support your CAC? Our CAC really needs a facelift. It's not easy for everyone to look as vibrant as I do, so the CAC needs a little TLC. Our walls need a fresh coat of paint so our community members could donate funds in order to help spruce up our building.
6. What is on your CAC wish list? I always love new treats, but they tell me I'm watching my waist line these days. The kids love snacks to munch on while they're at the CAC as well, so snacks for the kids are always on our wish list!
7. In such a demanding field, what keeps you focused and positive about the work you do? I'm always positive! With a face like this and people telling you how beautiful you are everyday, it's hard not to get a big head but I tend to stay grounded. Seeing new faces everyday keeps me focused on the task at hand. You never know what these kids have gone through, but I know I can make it better with my warm brown eyes, a wet nose, and a wag of my tail.